Second Trimester Abortion
Women looking for second trimester abortion have a few options to consider.
Second Trimester Abortion Options
A surgical abortion performed at a trusted second trimester abortion clinic is the safest and only option for women seeking an abortion in their second trimester (15 to 24 weeks gestation). The second trimester abortion procedure is considered one of the safest outpatient procedures when performed by trained physicians. Our team of both male and female licensed OB/GYNS has been chosen because of their high standards and exceptional skills. All abortion procedures are performed in our clean, private procedure rooms and each patient is attended to by one of our caring health professionals.
You will be treated with kindness and the dignity and respect you deserve. You are honored by all of our staff who ensure that your time with us will be spent in caring, clean, and comfortable surroundings.
Second Trimester Abortion (15 – 24 weeks)
There are many reasons women in the second trimester of pregnancy face the decision of whether or not to have an abortion. Perhaps it is a change in life circumstances, an unforeseen medical condition, financial hardship or a fetal anomaly. We know. We understand. We are here to listen and help.
Abortion between 15 – 24 weeks requires a procedure referred to as a D & E, meaning dilation (of your cervix) and evacuation (of the pregnancy). We promise that during your time with us, you will be treated with tender care and respect. You will get to know our medical team and speak privately with a reproductive health counselor. In addition, our doctors take gentle medical and surgical steps to remove fetal life support and cause fetal death before removing the pregnancy. The abortion procedure (Dilation and Evacuation) will be performed once dilation is sufficient. The time this takes varies from woman to woman.
1 & 2 Day Second Trimester Abortions
Our second trimester abortion clinic offers two procedure options:
1-Day Second Trimester Abortion Option (15 – 16 week D & E)
This option, developed locally by Northland Family Planning Clinic and now used widely throughout the country, offers patients an important choice for their abortion. During your pre-procedure medical history and physical examination, our doctors will determine which cervical preparation and dilation method or combination of methods is best for your 1-day abortion procedure. Not all patients will qualify for this 1-day option.
2-Day Second Trimester Abortion Option (17 – 24 week D & E)
If our doctors determine that the 2-day abortion procedure is best for you, you must stay in the area and commit to returning the next day. The first day, we take your medical history, discuss your procedure and after-care, and begin the preparation for the overnight dilation of your cervix. When you return the next day, your abortion procedure will be completed.
Please Remember: Once the Cervical preparation has begun on day one, your abortion is in progress.
The Supreme Court ruled to uphold the Federal Abortion Ban in 2007. This Ban prohibits a certain medical technique used in second trimester abortions, but does NOT affect all techniques available to patients. We want to ensure your safety, protect your future fertility and, of course, obey the law. After careful research and consultation with medical experts, led by our Medical Director, the second trimester abortion techniques offered by Northland Family Planning Centers maintain our high standard of quality care, offer you the comfort you deserve, and meet the standards of this law.
Be assured: Here, you are safe and you will receive the highest quality care with no ‘shortcuts’ in your care or around the law.
Choose your abortion care provider as if your future depends on it, because it does.
What to expect at your second trimester abortion appointment:
You will meet our medical team and speak with a reproductive health counselor. We also:
- Confirm your pregnancy with an ultrasound
- Have a private conversation with you about your pregnancy options and your abortion decision
- Complete a full medical history
- Perform your medical exam and abortion procedure in a clean, softly lit surgical suite with background music and aromatherapy for relaxation
- You will spend time in our quiet recovery area
- We monitor your blood pressure, bleeding, and pulse, and offer you an opportunity to ask questions and relax
- Tea and light refreshments are provided
- When you are discharged, you will be given specific and complete recovery instructions explaining signs and symptoms of possible complications, along with a 24-hour emergency phone number and guidance on emotional healing
- We also give you a prescription for your post-procedure medications which can be filled on-site at low cost
- We offer the option to choose and begin a method of birth control, if you are ready, on the same day as your procedure or your follow-up visit
- You have a choice of birth control pills (starter pack FREE), the NuvaRing or the Depo Provera birth control shot (an injection which provides birth control protection for 3 months). There is a fee for the Depo Provera shot.
Deciding whether or not to continue a pregnancy, whether this is the right time for you to bring a child into this world, can sometimes be extremely difficult. It is a choice that must make sense not only in your head, but in your heart as well. You deserve to feel at peace with your decision. That is why we have developed our unique Head and Heart counseling program. Women who are unresolved about their abortion decision are encouraged to work with our counseling staff and take the time to explore all of their feelings about the pregnancy.
Your private counseling session will include discussions about:
- All pregnancy options
- Your feelings and fears
- How the procedure is performed
- Possible risks and complications
- How best to care for yourself afterwards