Physical Healing After an Abortion
After an abortion, taking care of yourself is of the utmost importance.
Homecare After Abortion
It is important to pay attention to both physical healing and your emotional well being after an abortion.
We are honored that you chose Northland Family Planning Clinic for your abortion care. However, your care does not end when you leave our clinic. We want to make sure you are taking care of yourself both emotionally and physically when you get home. Because we are specialists in abortion care, we know more about how to take care of any problems or complications than those who do not perform this type of procedure. If you have any questions or concerns, or are worried, please call us. We want to help.
It is important to pay attention to both physical and emotional well being after an abortion.
We know they influence each other. Take it easy, listen to your body, and get extra rest. There is a lot to remember from your appointment day and we know that you may forget some of the information provided to you.
This web site, and our Homecare Video for the Abortion Pill or Homecare Video for Surgical Abortion, should help. These videos offer a summary of the written homecare instructions you were given while you were at our office, highlighting the most important things to remember. Lost your homecare sheet? No problem! You can find it at these links: surgical abortion homecare and abortion pill homecare instructions.
Expect a call from our staff on the day following your appointment. We want to make sure you are doing ok and taking good care of yourself. Please call us back if we were unable to reach you and left a message.
- Drink fluids, eat healthy foods
- Take it easy, listen to your body and get extra rest when you need it
- Take the antibiotics prescribed by your doctor right away and for the full amount of days prescribed!
- Do not exercise, swim, or take a tub bath for 2 weeks
- Don’t use ANYTHING vaginally for 2 weeks – no sex, no tampons, no douches
- You may ovulate within days or weeks after an abortion, which means …yes, you could get pregnant!
- Have sex only if YOU feel physically recovered. Be sure to discuss birth control with your partner if you don’t want to become pregnant
When to be concerned
Please refer to the Recovery At Home homecare booklet you received at the clinic for a list of possible complications. If you are having an abortion-related problem DO NOT wait…call the Center where you were seen immediately (during normal business hours). Do not delay, we want to help.
The Northland Family Planning after-hours number is for emergencies only, not general questions or information. If you are experiencing a medical emergency you feel cannot wait for a call back from us, please call 911 immediately.