You’ve come to the decision to have an abortion, but how do you decide which clinic to go to? Clinics are not all created equal, and some do not have your best interest in mind. Choosing an abortion clinic is about more than price. When it comes to your health and safety, is the cheapest really in your best interest? Let us help you with some things to keep in mind when calling around to clinics.
- How does the person on the phone make you feel? Northland wants to take care of you and we promise to respect you and honor your dignity. You can tell that we care by the way we talk to you on the phone, when you come in, and while you are here.
- Find out if the clinic is certified by the National Abortion Federation. Northland Family Planning is inspected and certified by NAF and also the State of Michigan. We may not be the cheapest, but when it comes to your safety and health, what matters more... the cheapest price or a quality physician and clinic?
- Does the clinic provide you with the State Mandated Information? Do they tell you to get your information from another clinic? That’s a big red flag. If they are skimping with something required by the law, where else are they cutting corners?
- Ask if you can go in and check the clinic out. The office should be clean, inviting, and well appointed. Have they thought of little things that make you feel invited and warm? Northland Family Planning certainly has.
- Make sure the clinic you choose is treating your whole self, and not just your body. Abortion care is about quality medical care and supportive emotional feedback.
One of the best ways to find a good clinic is through the recommendation of a friend. Each year, more than 1 million women choose to have an abortion in the United States. If a friend isn’t the right resource for you, ask your doctor. The National Abortion Federation and the Abortion Care Network are both important gatekeepers of information on which abortion providers meet and exceed their high standards of medical care and counseling.
Call us with any questions or concerns you might have. We are always here and ready to talk to you.