After an unexpected positive pregnancy test, you considered your options. You have decided that an abortion is the best choice for you. You called Northland Family Planning and made the appointment.
Now what? What is the best way to prepare for your abortion appointment?
The first thing you want to do is make sure you are gentle with yourself. No matter whether the decision to have an abortion was difficult or easy, different thoughts will certainly pop-up. Pay attention and acknowledge those feelings. Do you think it would be helpful to talk with a friend or trusted companion before your appointment? Regardless of how sure you are that you are making the right choice, it always helps to talk with someone you love and trust about how you feel. If you enjoy journaling, drawing, or other artistic expression, make sure you express yourself. Or maybe watching Netflix with a warm mug of tea helps you relax and escape. You know you best—make sure you are taking good care of yourself.
Make all the important arrangements you need to before you come in:
- You have childcare, if needed
- You have all proper documents (state ID, insurance card, etc.)
- You have someone who supports you emotionally coming with you as your ride home
- You have your total fee. If someone else is using their credit card, they are coming with you to sign
- If you are coming from out-of-state, you have made hotel arrangements
- You have received the State Mandated 24 hour paperwork at least 24 hours before your appointment
- You have an entertaining book or a tablet to keep you occupied during your wait time
A nice, warm bath the night before your appointment goes a long way in helping you feel relaxed. Wear comfortable clothes to your appointment, including underwear (no thongs, please). Please, no street drugs before your appointment. This will interfere with your ability to have the abortion as scheduled. Make sure you have alerted our staff to any and all medical conditions before you come. We want to make sure that nothing stands in the way of you getting your abortion.