The election has caused real trauma to many people, fear over what will be coming in the future, uncertainty and confusion. Every morning you read the news, it’s like a nightmare you can’t wake up from. You should know you are not alone in that feeling. There is a strong and growing tidal wave of citizens who want to TAKE ACTION, as evidenced by all of the amazing sites that are popping up to help us get active and resist. These websites not only help you stay on top of every horrifying decision being made, but they also help you decide where you can put some extra energy, from making phone calls (which take 3 minutes) to sending emails (which takes 5 minutes). It is very satisfying to know you can make a difference in the spare time that you have. Because there are so many great resources, we decided compiling them together in a list would be helpful. If you know of others, please leave a comment and share with us!
- http://www.tellallyourfriends.org : from the site, “This site was developed as a place to find the latest petitions and calls to action flooding social media in the aftermath of the 2016 election…we decided to create a "one stop shopping" experience that would hopefully make it easier for some people to take action. There are other web sites doing related work and we are linking to them as well when we can.”
- https://www.indivisibleguide.com: from the site, "Our only goal is to help the real leaders on the ground who are resisting Trump’s agenda on their home turf. We hope you will take this document and use it however you see fit." This guide is absolutely indispensable. There are local groups popping up all over the state. Check here to find yours, and get involved.
- http://thesixtyfive.org/home: This was once called the "We’re His Problem Now" calling sheet. They have since moved to their own site and org, The 65. From the site, “At The 65, we refuse to live the next four years in complacency or despair. We want to remind ourselves every day: there are 65 million people in this country who share our frustration. There are 65 million people in this country who believe in a better America, an America that builds bridges before walls, that sees diversity as our greatest strength. There are 65 million of us willing to stand up for what we believe in, and our best chance for success is working together to make Congress work for us.” This is a comprehensive site that has everything spelled out for you when calling your reps about many different issues.
- http://roganslist.blogspot.com: This is a blog run by an amazing human being who updates it daily with action items. The items include ideas for calling reps, links to petitions, articles to inform you, and more. From the site, “I am a retired university librarian who is an information and fact-checking geek. Between Facebook, Twitter, and email, I gather action items during the day and then post the list in the evening.”
- If you are able to, support good, investigative journalism as much as you can. See suggestions for more here: http://annaclark.net/how-to-support-good-journalism/
- dailygrabback.com: “Daily Grab Back seeks to implement change with five minutes of activism every day.”
- http://tinyurl.com/jqeyoc7: “Trump cabinet appointees and the committee members to scream at to get this to maybe stop: A furious list, to be updated as needed”
- flippable.org: “Our mission is to turn America blue by building a movement to flip seats- first in state legislatures, and then in the House and Senate. To build this movement, we need to close the information gap, making it radically easier for Democrats to:
- Understand the importance of state policy in national elections
- Identify the most critical races that can turn a state from red to blue
- Act on this information by donating, volunteering, and organizing others to act with them”
- donatebigly.com: “We make it easy to donate to awesome nonprofits in honor of Trump, Pence, and their basket of deplorable nominees.”
Want to make a local difference to significantly help women in Michigan who need an abortion? Check out the new non-profit Reclaim. Reclaim houses the Michigan Win In Need Fund (MI WIN Fund), which helps women seeking an abortion at Northland Family Planning with costs, including childcare, transportation, and food.
These sites and suggestions are quick, simple things you can do to make a difference in the next four years. I believe our most important job is to stay vigilant, stay local, and to NOT CALM DOWN. Normalizing anything that has and will happen is one of the most dangerous things that we can participate in and allow to happen. Democracy is now a full-time job.
And, most importantly, talk about it with your supportive family and friends. Don’t isolate yourself, and don’t think you’re alone in feeling like a stranger in this country. You’re not. 65+ million are with you.
Support these artists (itsconnoro and kounterpropos), find stickers of the artwork on this post here.