2nd Trimester Abortion 15-24 Weeks
Safe, Surgical Abortions for 2nd Trimester Patients
A surgical abortion is the safest and only option for women seeking an abortion in the second trimester of pregnancy (15 to 24 weeks gestation). Northland Family Planning Clinic has been a recognized and trusted leader in abortion care throughout the Metro Detroit area since 1976. We are a team of pro-choice women and men committed to providing our patients with safe and compassionate abortion services.
Abortion procedure is considered one of the safest out-patient surgical procedures when performed by trained physicians. Our team of both male and female licensed OB/GYNS have been chosen because of their high standards and exceptional skills. All surgical abortion procedures are performed in our clean, private surgical rooms and each patient is attended to by one of our caring health professionals.
The Northland standard of care is focused on you. The promise that you will be treated with kindness and with the dignity and respect you deserve is honored by all of our staff who ensure that your time with us will be spent in caring, clean and comfortable surroundings.
2nd Trimester Abortion (15 – 24 weeks)
There are many reasons women in the second trimester of pregnancy face the decision of whether or not to have an abortion. Perhaps it is a change in life circumstances, an unforeseen medical condition, financial hardship or a fetal anomaly. We know. We understand. We are here to listen and help.
Abortion between 15 – 24 weeks requires a procedure referred to as a D & E, meaning dilation (of your cervix) and evacuation (of the pregnancy). We promise that during your time with us, you will be treated with tender care and respect. You will get to know our medical team and speak privately with a reproductive health counselor. In addition, our doctors take gentle medical and surgical steps to remove fetal life support and cause fetal death before removing the pregnancy. The abortion procedure (Dilation and Evacuation) will be performed once dilation is sufficient. The time this takes varies from woman to woman.
Northland Family Planning Centers offer two options for 2nd Trimester Abortion:
1-Day Care Option (15 – 17 week D & E)
This option, developed locally by Northland Family Planning Clinic and now used widely throughout the country, offers patients an important choice for their abortion. During your pre-procedure medical history and physical examination, our doctors will determine which cervical preparation and dilation method or combination of methods is best for your 1-day abortion procedure. Not all patients will qualify for this 1-day option.
2-Day abortion (15 – 24 week D & E)
If our doctors determine that the 2-day abortion procedure is best for you, it will be imperative that you are able to stay in the area and commit to returning the next day. The first day, we take your medical history, discuss your procedure and after-care, and begin the preparation for the overnight dilation of your cervix. When you return the next day, your abortion procedure will be completed.
Please Remember: Once the Cervical preparation has begun on day one, your abortion has begun.
The supreme Court ruled to uphold the Federal Abortion Ban in April, 2007. This Ban prohibits a certain medical technique used in 2nd trimester abortions. This ban does NOT affect all techniques available to patients. We want to ensure your safety today, protect your future fertility and of course, obey the law. After careful research and consultation with medical experts, led by our Medical Director, the techniques offered by Northland Family Planning Centers both maintain our high standard of quality care, offer you the comfort you deserve and meet the standards of this law.
Be assured. Here, you are safe and you will receive the highest quality care with no ‘shortcuts’…in your care or around the law.
Choose your abortion care provider as if your future depends on it, because it does.
What to expect at your appointment:
While you are with us, you will meet our medical team and speak privately with a reproductive health counselor. For your additional safety and comfort, we also:
- Confirm your pregnancy with a pregnancy test and/or ultrasound.
- Have a private conversation with you about your pregnancy options and your abortion decision.
- Complete a full medical history to be aware of your needs.
- Provide you with full informed consent by explaining the procedure and recovery process.
- Perform your medical exam and abortion procedure in a clean, softly lit surgical suite with background music and aromatherapy for relaxation.
- You will spend approximately one hour in our quiet recovery area. While in recovery, we monitor your blood pressure, bleeding, and pulse and offer you an opportunity to ask questions and relax. Tea and light refreshments are provided.
- When you are discharged, you will be given specific and complete home care and recovery instructions explaining signs and symptoms of possible complications along with a 24-hour emergency phone number. We also give you a prescription for your post-procedure medications which can be filled at low cost with our on-site prescription dispensing service.
- You will be given a Homecare packet in which you will find helpful guidance on both physical and emotional health.
- You will also schedule a follow-up visit for two weeks after your abortion. This is an extremely important appointment (there is no charge for this follow-up if you come within 2-4 weeks after your abortion). At this appointment, we check to make sure there are no complications with the abortion and we will gladly answer your questions or help you set a plan for birth control or reproductive health care so you are ready to take on your dreams for your future.
- We offer the option to choose and begin a method of birth control, if you are ready, on the same day as your procedure or your follow-up visit. You have a choice of birth control pills (starter pack FREE), the NuvaRing or the Depo Provera birth control shot (an injection which provides birth control protection for 3 months). There is a fee for the Depo Provera shot.
Deciding whether or not to continue a pregnancy, whether this is the right time for you to bring a child into this world, can sometimes be extremely difficult. It is a choice that must make sense not only in your head, but in your heart as well. You deserve to feel at peace with your decision. That is why we have developed our unique Head and Heart counseling program. Women who are unresolved about their abortion decision are encouraged to work with our counseling staff and take the time to explore all of their feelings about the pregnancy.
Your private counseling session will include discussions about:
- All pregnancy options.
- Your feelings and fears.
- How the procedure is performed.
- Possible risks and complications.
- How best to care for yourself afterwards.
Pregnancy Options Workbook this helpful exploration of options and decision-making tools is also available at our office.
Watch Northland Family Planning Centers’ After abortion video for information on what to watch for physically.